Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Finally finished!

Hi, guys! I'm excited that my first post here is a finished project - it will allow me to get this one off my list and get started on more fun things...

Not that this wasn't fun. Way back in September, Sew Mama Sew posted this tutorial... and I knew I wanted one for my kitchen. Not long after, our kitchen rug finally died - the backing had disintegrated and was sticking all over the kitchen floor. So my Patchwork Kitchen Mat idea started to take place in my mind...

Six months later, it is finished. Voila!


This is my first real "quilt," although I really shouldn't put that in quotes. It is a real quilt - I guess I did that because... I'm going to walk all over it every day, and that feels kind of wrong to do to a quilt.

Here's an up close detail...

The quilt design is nothing fancy, and I didn't even do any hard quilt stitching - just straight lines like recommended in the tutorial. I HAD to use the apple and pear fabric from Alexander Henry in the mat, although I am not so much a pale blue and pink girl, so I went with the browns. And the Farmer's Market apples from Michael Miller make me want to cry they are so cute - so I put them both together so I could enjoy them everyday. Kelly had helped me pick out more prints that worked with these, but I kept seeing this in my mind, so I went with it.

Now I just hope my hubby doesn't think this is too... girly. My 3 year old has already told me he loves it, and apparently he loves laying all over it. Perfect for when I want to do dishes.

I do have tons of links to share - I have a folder in my favorites named "I want to make NOW!" So I'll go through that and start posting the links to get them out there - and you guys can hold me accountable to actaully make them!

3 comments:

  1. way to go, leigh! it looks awesome.
    not too girly. heck, there's not even a speck of pink in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Leigh! Love the fabrics and I can't wait to see what else you have in store for us on the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pears! I have the blue and brown in my stash :) I was tempted to make this but worried it would get trashed way too fast in my house. Can you wash it?

    ReplyDelete