Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dish Towel Bag

I'm totally inspired by this idea for a tote made from a dish towel and extra fabric. But have been looking for dish towels for months now and haven't seen what I like. Still, seems like a short cut to a cute tote. Perhaps as a teacher gift or hostess gift?
* * * * *

UPDATE: I finally made this, but have to tell you... it is just a basic tote and a small one at that. IF you find a dish towel that you fall in love with but don't know what to do with it, then YES, this may be the right tutorial. But I really stretched it and ended up using the towel on the inside instead of the outer layer and really would have enjoyed working with 2 fabrics instead of the dish towel.

But, now I know I can do totes! And Jen (in case you are reading this), should this go to Mom, Ann or Ellie? It can only fit about a book, reading glasses and a little more. Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is very cute! I hear what you're saying about it being a smaller tote - that's just because we're so used to carrying A LOT of stuff around!

    I think it should go to Ann - I think the handles are too long for Ellie. Mom should definitely have one, but that could come next. (Or after you finish a project for someone's birthday in say, July.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to comment earlier that I thought it actually looked bigger in the pic than I expected from your comment. Then I remembered that in the Birckhead household, "a book" is not the latest Nora Roberts paperback, but rather "The Complete Tome of the Obtuse Works of Hortense Hicklebottom, Unabridged" which usually runs about 2347 pages, just perfect for a beach read.

    ReplyDelete