Question for you advanced sewers: Others would "quilt" a blanket this size to keep the lining from slipping, etc. It is sewed into the border. I don't know how to "quilt" the blanket. Would you do anything else to it to help it last longer? If so, what?
Saturday, March 7, 2009
6 years later!
My sister just gave me a blanket that I cut and pinned almost 6 years ago-- ready to hand sew and give my friend when she had her baby! Well, it was a good idea, but my friend's baby is now in Kindergarten and has 2 younger siblings. Obviously this fabric sat in a bag for a while until I gave it to my sister who was going to take up sewing. That didn't happen (YET, Jen!) so it came back to me this week. Less than 1/2 hour after starting, I finally have my baby blanket!! I love it-- even the uneven border that a woman on a boardwalk surrey would not notice. See how far I've come since my last post?

Question for you advanced sewers: Others would "quilt" a blanket this size to keep the lining from slipping, etc. It is sewed into the border. I don't know how to "quilt" the blanket. Would you do anything else to it to help it last longer? If so, what?
Question for you advanced sewers: Others would "quilt" a blanket this size to keep the lining from slipping, etc. It is sewed into the border. I don't know how to "quilt" the blanket. Would you do anything else to it to help it last longer? If so, what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That looks fabulous! I have a couple baby blankets in the works for kids who are no longer babies...
ReplyDeleteYou could "tie" it - it's a form of quilting, but instead of using a machine, you tie bits of yarn periodically throughout the blanket so the front and back don't slide. Does that make sense? Here's a link about it...
http://www.quilting101.com/making/how-to-tie-a-quilt.html
I still have a baby blanket from when I was a child that I'm using with the boys - and it was tied. I can send you a pic if you'd like!!!
that tied idea is super cute.
ReplyDeletei thought immediately that you could sew the shapes of some of the animals, therefore quilting it - but this option would probably take awhile.
I was planning on doing those ties 6 years ago, so I'll still give it a try :) Thanks!
ReplyDelete